Day Three at SXSW
Our Day 3 highlights come from DDB Europe’s Sara Cosgrove.
Perhaps it was the heat, perhaps it was the arrival of daylight saving time – Sunday at SXSW was buzzing with energy. There were, as expected, lots of panels to attend, countless VR experiences to be had and many interesting people to meet, but the top five of today has to be:
- The weather – After a few days with overcast skies and intermittent spitting rain, the sun came out in full force.
- F**k no. S**t yeah – One of the most popular slots of the day was delivered by inspirational speaker and creative director of Ocupop, Michael Nieling. He maintained that you have to say yes to a few things before you’re in a position where you’d get to say no. Saying yes, rather than no, mean things may go horribly wrong, but at least something will happen next.
- The Mr Robot Ferris wheel – Today was really the perfect day for getting on the Ferris, as you could actually see across Austin and enjoy the breeze at the top.
- McDonald’s Loft – Live band, a choice of McDonald’s menu items and VR experience. What’s not to like?
- Panel conclusion – One of the sessions, which managed to wrap up with some form of conclusion, was the Unapologetic Women Win Meetings in Jeans, where the take out was summed up in one sentence by Cassie Augustine-Jones, Chief Strategy Officer/Partner at Agency Zero: “If you are prepared to be the smartest person in the room, you can show up to the meeting with tattoos.”